This Seafood "Chilli Jam" Tart can be made as one big tart, baby tartlets or the filling can be used in vol au vants too. The fiery flavour of the chilli jam is slightly muted but still has a perfect ummani kick, against the creaminess of the the faux bechamel, made with milk and corn flour. You can use any type of seafood, a pure prawn tart would be absolutely delicious too.
- 400g Puff pastry
- 150g white Fish
- 100g Prawns
- 100g Cuttlefish
- ½ Onion
- 2 cloves Garlic
- Fresh Cilantro
- ½ cup Milk
- 1 tsp Corn flour
- 3 heaped tsp Miris Chilli Jam
For the filling:
1. Fry finely chopped garlic and onions in a spoon of heated butter
2. Add chopped fish, cuttlefish and a pinch of salt.
3. Add prawns and a small splash of milk.
4. Once the seafood has cooked through, add the rest of the milk and Miris Chilli Jam.
5. Dissolve corn flour in water and stir into the mixture.
6. Gently stir until mixture thickens.
7. Add more salt and Chilli jam if needed, remove from heat and stir in fresh cilantro
To assemble the tart:
1. Defrost puff pastry according to package instructions
2. Roll to ¼ inch thickness and cut out shapes as desired.
3. Place on a baking tray lined with baking paper
4. Fill the center of the tart with a small amount of the cooled seafood filling.
5. Make sure there’s a border of pastry around the filling, crimp the edges (or add a frame of puff pastry to encase the filling) and brush pastry with egg wash.
6. Bake in an oven preheated to 180C for 20 - 25 minutes or until pastry is golden brown and puffed up.
7. Add more seafood filling into the center and serve warm!